One club is already out of playoff contention while two more can join them this weekend. No clubs are near the point of clinching a berth as we head into Week 29 of the regular season in Major League Soccer.
Here is the updated playoff scenarios:
Chivas USA will be eliminated from playoff contention IF
- Chivas USA lose or draw vs. Portland Timbers
Toronto FC will be eliminated from playoff contention IF
- Toronto FC lose or tie vs. Chicago Fire on Wednesday AND Toronto FC lose or tie vs. New York Red Bulls on Saturday (must lose one game)
- Toronto FC lose vs. Chicago Fire on Wednesday AND
- Philadelphia Union win vs. Houston Dynamo on Saturday AND
- Chicago Fire win vs. New England Revolution on Saturday
D.C. United had been eliminated
So there you have it. Chivas and Toronto can join D.C. this weekend on the “planning for 2014″ side. Though you could easily argue that Toronto is already in that mode after yesterday’s trade with Portland.