- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On September 24, 2014
- 0 Comments
A draft before the draft. That is so MLS.
Orlando City and New York City FC, who are getting ready for their first MLS season in 2015, will go head-to-head in the Expansion Priority Draft on Wednesday. The event will be streamed live on MLSsoccer.com at 2 pm ET.
After a draw conducted by supporters of both clubs to determine which club goes first, head coaches Jason Kreis (New York City) and Adrian Heath (Orlando City) will then alternate selections for priority among the following eight player acquisition mechanisms:
1. MLS Expansion Draft (Picks 1 or 2)
2. MLS SuperDraft (Picks 1 or 2)
3. USL PRO/NASL Player Priority Ranking (Picks 1 or 2)
4. Designated Player Ranking (Picks 1 or 2)
5. Allocation Ranking (Picks 1 or 2)
6. Discovery Ranking (Picks 20 or 21)
7. Waiver/Re-Entry Draft Ranking (Picks 20 or 21)
8. Lottery Ranking (Picks 20 or 21)
NYCFC and OCSC receive priority in five of the eight mechanisms (picks 1 or 2). They are last in three of the rankings (picks 20 or 21): Discovery ranking, Waiver/Re-Entry Draft ranking and the Lottery ranking.
This is the same method the league used back in 2011 when both Vancouver and Portland entered the league at the same time.