- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On May 15, 2013
- 0 Comments
- 2013 MLS Season, 2013 Week 12
Well today was expected to be a busy day and for the MLS Disciplinary Committee it was probably a busy couple of days reviewing everything from last week.
First up is a reduction in one players’ suspension from last week. MLS Commissioner Don Garber has reduced by one game the suspension issued to San Jose Earthquakes forward Marvin Chavez for violent conduct in a May 8 game against Toronto FC. After hearing an appeal from Chavez, the Commissioner’s decision means that Chavez will be eligible for the Earthquakes game May 18 against the Colorado Rapids.
Next up is four more suspensions for this weekend. Without getting too much into it, I’ll just give you the words from the MLS DC email:
Separately, the MLS Disciplinary Committee has suspended and fined the following players:
- Johnny Leveron (Vancouver Whitecaps FC) – Suspended one game for a reckless challenge that endangered the safety of his opponent, LA Galaxy forward Jose Villareal, in the 3rd minute of their May 11 game (VIDEO). Leveron will serve his suspension May 18 when Vancouver plays Portland.
- Mario De Luna (Chivas USA) – Suspended one game for aggressively retrieving the ball in the 86thminute of the May 12th game against the Portland Timbers (VIDEO). Because De Luna will serve a one-game suspension for yellow card accumulation May 19 when Chivas USA plays Real Salt Lake, he will serve this one-game suspension May 25 at Colorado.
- Edson Buddle (Colorado Rapids) – Suspended one game for a reckless challenge that endangered the safety of his opponent, Columbus Crew midfielder Tony Tchani, in the 58th minute of their May 11 game (VIDEO) Buddle will serve his suspension May 18 when Colorado plays San Jose.
- Kwame Watson-Siriboe (Real Salt Lake) Suspended one game for violent conduct that endangered the safety of his opponent, Montreal Impact forward Marco DiVaio, in the 52nd minute of their May 11 game (VIDEO). Watson-Siriboe will serve his suspension May 19 when Real Salt Lake plays Chivas USA.
After watching last week’s games, I’m not surprised by any of those suspensions. Very shocked to not see Philadelphia Union defender Bakary Soumare not be suspended or fined for his little shoulder charge in Chicago.