- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On January 25, 2013
- 0 Comments
- 2013 MLS Season, Features
We are nearly done with the early preseason look ins at each of the 19 MLS clubs. Two more this morning and the last three will come out later today.
[box style=”rounded”]Eastern Conference links: Chicago Fire and Columbus Crew | D.C. United and the Houston Dynamo | the Montreal Impact and the New England Revolution |the New York Red Bulls and the Philadelphia Union | Sporting KC and Toronto FC[/box]
Just for a recap, I am looking at what items are missing as each team is beginning their preseason camps this week.
– Enough defense to go around? The more I look at the Timbers the more I wonder if they have done enough work on their defense this offseason. They did make plenty of moves in their midfield which may help out in the defensive side of things but depth wise, they seem to be lacking a little bit.
– Chemistry. With all of the moves made and the new coach in place, the next big question I have for the Timbers is the chemistry. I’m sure some of it will be there already but given the large amount of new faces and all, finding the right balance of chemistry will be key for Caleb Porter.
Real Salt Lake
– Defensive depth. They have good players in defense, make no mistake about it but are they deep enough in the back? I’m not convinced that they are just yet. Losing Jamison Olave hurt them but I think once guys like Chris Schuler step up, fans won’t miss him too much. I just think that they need at least one extra body at center back to be safe.
– Lack of bite in the attack. Robbie Findley’s return is nice but let’s be fair here with regards to RSL’s attack, it is lacking bodies. Just three strikers on the roster right now (one is a draft pick that hasn’t officially signed either). RSL cannot simply rely on Alvaro Saborio all the time here too like they did in 2012. They absolutely need a third and forth option in the attack.