The preseason look ins series continues again with two more Western Conference clubs.
Again, I am going through each of the 19 MLS clubs, two at a time, to look at what items are missing as each team is beginning their preseason camps this week.
Earlier in the day I looked at Chivas USA and the Colorado Rapids.
[box style=”rounded”]Eastern Conference links: Chicago Fire and Columbus Crew | D.C. United and the Houston Dynamo | the Montreal Impact and the New England Revolution |the New York Red Bulls and the Philadelphia Union | Sporting KC and Toronto FC[/box]
- Wing depth. So Brek Shea may or may not be moving on but outside of him the club has Jackson and Fabian Castillo. Depth just isn’t there. Now if Ryan Hollingshead does come on board that is one more body. Still Schellas Hyndman and his staff need more bodies for the wings, an area they utilize in a big way.
- Depth in the middle. Both at center mid and attacking mid the club is pretty thin as well. Yesterday they waived both depth pieces behind Andrew Jacobson and David Ferreira leaving some holes to be filled. Dallas has already experienced too many games over the last two seasons without Ferreira and without having a solid backup to him.
- More help up front. They have Blas Perez and some new guy named Pipico. Outside of that are two Homegrown players. With Perez likely to miss a decent chunk of the summer, you have to think Dallas will land another striker before long. They need it to be a good one too, one that compliments Ferreira and Perez should Hyndman make his long awaited move to a 4-4-2.
- Help for Keane. Robbie Keane was arguably one of the best players in MLS last year but just how good will he be if he has to go at it alone? Meaning should Landon Donovan not return and should the club not go out and get another big name for the attack until the summer, can he do it alone? He certainly is capable of it but they’ll need more help up front to do so. Landing Gyasi Zardes was good but he could be a little ways away from being a viable number two.
- Just how deep are they? The Galaxy made a slew of offseason moves to get deeper for a third straight year. But just how deep are they and will it translate into another slow start? My gut tells me they are one or two pieces away from being “there”. Probably making that big splash in the third DP will do it and be enough. Though don’t underestimate the loss of guys like Christian Wilhelmsson. Replacing someone like that is never easy.