- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On September 24, 2012
- 2 Comments
- 2012 MLS Cup Playoffs, 2012 MLS Season
There are only a few more weeks left in the 2012 MLS season. Three teams have their tickets to the playoffs, while seven others are left to be taken. Here’s how thins have gone since the beginning of August.
Points since August 1, 2012:
Chicago Fire 21
Columbus Crew 20
Sporting Kansas City 18
San Jose Earthquakes 16
D.C. United/Seattle Sounders FC 15
LA Galaxy/FC Dallas 14
New York Red Bulls 12
Montreal Impact/Portland Timbers 10
Houston Dynamo 9
Colorado Rapids 8
Real Salt Lake/Philadelphia Union 7
New England Revolution 6
Vancouver Whitecaps 4
Toronto FC 3
Chivas USA 2
– Chicago is still the hottest club in MLS since August. Just an impressive record in near-two months span. No doubt they still have a shot at winning the East here.
– Columbus being second on the list is still surprising considering their last couple of games. They did squeeze out a win over Chivas on last Wednesday but other than that they’ve been so-so since the start of September. Just six points in their last five games.
– Vancouver is still struggling even after returning home. They got a draw to move two points ahead of FC Dallas in the standings but not enough in my book to get clear of them. This race will go down to the wire.
– SKC has quietly put together a nice eight-game unbeaten run.
– Both Chivas and Toronto are just bad, so bad at the moment. I’m doubtful that a top draft pick will even help those two out next year.
(Just as you’ll see in the comments below, Mark Fishkin helped contribute to this post. He tweeted out these numbers a couple weeks back to get me started on this weekly post, follow him here on Twitter)