- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On November 10, 2011
- 5 Comments
- 2011 Expansion Draft, Features
This is it – the final club in our Expansion Draft protection lists – the Los Angeles Galaxy. The Galaxy won this year’s Supporters’ Shield trophy for the best record in the league and now are 90 minutes away from winning another MLS Cup.
To recap, I’ve already looked at the Chicago Fire, Chivas USA, the Colorado Rapids, the Columbus Crew, D.C. United, FC Dallas, the Houston Dynamo, the New England Revolution, the New York Red Bulls, the Philadelphia Union, the Portland Timbers, Real Salt Lake, the San Jose Earthquakes, the Seattle Sounders FC, Sporting Kansas City, Toronto FC and the Vancouver Whitecaps.
Keep in mind the rules of the expansion draft, to read more about them click here.
1. Landon Donovan – No need to explain this one.
2. David Beckham – Gotta protect him even if he isn’t coming back next year (which I think he still will).
3. Robbie Keane – Another one with no explanation needed.
4. Omar Gonzalez – Best defender in the league, period.
5. Juninho – Another highly underrated midfielder in this league.
6. AJ DeLeGarza – Really continued to improve in 2011, I see more growth out of this guy in 2012.
7. Sean Franklin – One of the best fullbacks in MLS.
8. Josh Saunders – Likely their #1 keeper going forward.
9. Chris Birchall – International player that will likely need protected.
10. Todd Dunivant – Another un-sung hero of this club.
11. Mike Magee – Don’t laugh at this one, if the Galaxy have to protect another international then obviously Magee won’t be here but he was pretty big for them down the stretch this year.
Home Grown/Generation adidas Players:
- Jack McBean
- Donovan Ricketts
- Gregg Berhalter
- Frankie Hejduk
- Dan Keat
- Chad Barrett
- Hector Jimenez
- Adam Cristman
- Dustin McCarty
- Brian Perk
- Miguel Lopez
- Michael Stephens
- Bryan Jordan
- Ryan Thomas
- Dason Robinson
- Paolo Cordozo
- Sean Alvarado
I know I may get blasted for having Magee on this list but whatever. I know they may have to protect another international and that is fine. Take your pick between an injured center back like Leonardo, or some randomly used guys like Cardoza, Lopez or Jimenez.
LA has a roster full of stars – that we know – but they also have a roster full of aged players as well. You could easily make the case for them protecting both keepers (Ricketts and Saunders) too. For the most part 10 of those 11 were easy picks to make. Keep the main guys in the attack, along with securing the defense for the future.