I don’t think many folks expected to see this list so soon. With the Seattle Sounders exiting the playoffs last night after there 3-2 (on aggregate) loss to Real Salt Lake, the list had to be made. Boy, Montreal has to make the most of this too as the Sounders stand to lose one quality player.
To recap, I’ve already looked at the Chicago Fire, Chivas USA, the Colorado Rapids, the Columbus Crew, D.C. United, FC Dallas, the New England Revolution, the Portland Timbers, the San Jose Earthquakes, Toronto FC and the Vancouver Whitecaps.
Keep in mind the rules of the expansion draft, to read more about them click here.
1. Steve Zakuani – I still wonder what this season would have been like with him out there.
2. Fredy Montero – Still one of the best strikers in the league.
3. Mauro Rosales – No brainer here folks.
4. Osvaldo Alonso – Would be a total steal if he were left unprotected.
5. James Riley – Consistent defender, veteran.
6. Jeff Parke – See Riley.
7. Jhon Kennedy Hurtado – When healthy, he is one of the top defenders in the league.
8. Sammy Ochoa – Loads of potential with this youngster.
9. Lamar Neagle – Could possibly be one of my favorite Sounders.
10. Mike Fucito – People love this guy, and I can see why. Great work rate, plenty of upside.
11. Alvaro Fernandez – Their other DP, he was last on my list mainly because I wonder if he has the no trade clause or not. Could play a factor.
Home Grown/Generation adidas Players:
- Michael Tetteh
- Patrick Ianni
- Erik Friberg
- Leo Gonzalez
- O’Brien White
- David Estrada
- Kasey Keller
- Zach Scott
- Nate Jaqua
- Mike Seamon
- Servando Carrasco
- Roger Levesque
- Pat Noonan
- Tyson Wahl
- Terry Boss
- Amadou Sanyang
- Miguel Montano
- Bryan Meredith
- Brad Evans
The note I made about Fernandez is a key one. With a DP salary and the possibility that he doesn’t have the no trade clause could mean he would be left exposed. If this is the case then someone like Brad Evans would be protected. I really came down to protecting either Evans, Neagle, Ochoa, and Fucito. All are important to the future of this club but one of them likely could be exposed.