- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On May 23, 2011
- 4 Comments
- 2011 Gold Cup, Freddy Adu, Spain
Wow, just wow. Most expected a pretty straight forward roster announcement today by Bob Bradley but what came out was anything but expected.
1. Adu, really? Adu! Wow, this biggest shocker of all is Freddy Adu’s name being listed here. I know he’s done fairly well since moving to a second division team in Turkey but wow. No one and I mean no one saw this coming. That being said, I really do hope he uses all the negative press this will get to his advantage as motivation. I am willing to give the guy a shot here.
2. Shouldn’t be surprised by Bornstein. I know the guy hasn’t played much this year, well just 68 minutes since February, but he’s one of Bob’s guys. Let’s move on from that here, we all know he shouldn’t be here but there is little we can do to talk Bradley out of that now.
3. No Timothy Chandler? A bit of a shock, same could be said about Alejandro Bedoya too.
4. Wondo time! Some will certainly be shocked to see Chris Wondolowski over Teal Bunbury but let’s face it, this could very well be the move that delayed this announcement in the first place. Just my hunch really. Good for Wondo though as he’s really starting to heat up again here as of late. Bunbury on the other hand has been quite cooled in league play.
5. Rogers? Another shocker based on league play. He hasn’t looked good all season for that matter.
6. Bunbury’s no-call. I don’t mind the no call up for Bunbury here. I’d imagine KC head coach Peter Vermes lobbied hard to keep him in a Sporting kit for the Gold Cup. His club is ravaged by the tournament with callups and between that injuries and lack of form for Bunbury at the moment it was the right thing to not call him up. Hopefully this is a case where he can use this as motivation to help turn the KC season around.
What did you all make of this roster?