Philadelphia Lands Agorsor

Philadelphia Lands Agorsor

  • Posted by Drew Epperley
  • On February 14, 2011
  • 0 Comments
  • Weighted Lottery

Chris Agorsor trained with Philadelphia earlier this year. (Photo via Philadelphia Union)

Another day, another Major League Soccer lottery.

Today’s lottery was a fairly quick one as only three clubs participated for the rights to land former US U-18 striker Chris Agorsor. The Philadelphia Union beat out the two expansion clubs, the Portland Timbers and the Vancouver Whitecaps. The other 13 lottery-eligible clubs opted out of this lottery today.

The lottery was a rather one-sided affair. The Union had a 96.3 percent chance to secure the player’s services services. Portland (2.8 percent chance) and Vancouver (0.9 percent chance) were also in the running to claim the player. This was all due to the fact that both expansion clubs did not participate in MLS last season.

Agorsor, a former Gatorade National High School Player of the Year, was a highly touted recruit at the University of Virginia until a severe knee injury derailed his career. He had trained with the Union during the 2011 preseason and mentioned he hoped to land with the club.

Philadelphia, San Jose (winner of the David Bingham lottery) and Real Salt Lake (Cody Arnoux) are all prohibited from Tuesday’s lottery for U.S. U-20 right back Korey Veeder and any other future player lotteries this season.

Some will ask why to opt out of a lottery here but considering Agorsor’s injury past, it was probably an easy decision for most clubs to not participate in today’s lottery. As for tomorrow’s, we’ll see.

0 Comments