- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On November 19, 2010
- 2 Comments
- 2010 Expansion Draft
This is the last of the 2010 expansion draft lists. We wrap things up with the final MLS Cup finalist, FC Dallas.
To recap, so far I’ve covered lists for the following teams: the Chicago Fire, Chivas USA, the Colorado Rapids, the Columbus Crew, D.C. United, the Houston Dynamo, the Kansas City Wizards, the LA Galaxy, the New England Revolution, the New York Red Bulls, the Philadelphia Union, Real Salt Lake, the San Jose Earthquakes, the Seattle Sounders FC, and Toronto FC. As always for those curious about the expansion draft rules click here (there are some funky rules about international players and what not).
Dallas is quite possibly one of the toughest teams to predict. For me its tough because I’ve seen them so much day in and day out this year that I can see value in some players over others. Plus the team is still fairly young and they only have so many internationals on the team that don’t have green cards.
Below are the 11 players I see being protected:
- David Ferreira – MVP of the league. What more could you ask for.
- Kevin Hartman – Another MVP-type player.
- Health Pearce – When healthy he’s one of the better players in the league.
- Daniel Hernandez – Heart and soul of the club.
- George John – One of the better defenders in the league in my eyes.
- Brek Shea – Graduated from his GA status, now he’s a must-protect.
- Dax McCarty – One of the toughest players I’ve come across in this league.
- Marvin Chavez – His play in the playoffs have given me reason to see them protect him.
- Jair Benitez – A fairly underrated product of their backline.
- Ugo Ihemelu – Finally reaching his full potential in Dallas.
- Eric Alexander – Versatile, cheap and could be hugely valuable.
Those unprotected are:
- Eric Avila
- Zach Loyd
- Jeff Cunningham
- Atiba Harris
- Kyle Davies
- Bruno Guarda
- Edson Edward
- Dario Sala
- Milton Rodriguez
- Jason Yeisley
Players protected via Generation adidas/Home Grown Talent:
- Josh Lambo
- Bryan Leyva
- Ruben Luna
- Peri Marosevic
- Andrew Wiedeman
I’m fairly confident on about 8 or 9 of these picks. The last two were total battles for me going against Avila, Harris, and Jackson. You really could make a serious case for those three over Loyd or Alexander but for me it came down to what Hyndman likes to use and Loyd and Alexander are more of his type of players in the long run than Harris is and while Avila has been spectacular at times he’s never been a regular starter. Jackson is an iffy one due to his loan deal, they may have to protect him over Loyd or Alexander.
I’m leaving Cunningham unprotected due to his high salary and age.
Dallas will get hit hard no matter what in this draft I can say that. I hate the thought of seeing someone like Avila or Jackson go but that’s the nature of this draft unfortunately.
Edit: Forgot Ihemelu, damn. Subbing him in for Loyd.