- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On November 18, 2010
- 2 Comments
- 2010 Expansion Draft
Back-to-back expansion draft lists here today. Time to move on to the Supporter’s Shield winners, the LA Galaxy.
To recap, so far I’ve covered lists for the following teams: the Chicago Fire, Chivas USA, the Columbus Crew, D.C. United, the Houston Dynamo, the Kansas City Wizards, the New England Revolution, the New York Red Bulls, the Philadelphia Union, Real Salt Lake, the San Jose Earthquakes, the Seattle Sounders FC, and Toronto FC. As always for those curious about the expansion draft rules click here (there are some funky rules about international players and what not).
LA could be a fun team to figure out for these lists. With a fair amount of players on loan you got to figure they’ll want to protect one or two of them. Also having two DPs complicates things as you know they’ll be protected. Still the core of this team is fairly easy to predict while a few other selections could be tough.
Below are the 11 players I see being protected:
- David Beckham – No explanation needed here.
- Landon Donovan – Ditto.
- Edson Buddle – Not a DP but sure played like what one should play like in 2010.
- Donovan Ricketts – Keeper of the Year, deserving or not he is still very good.
- Omar Gonzalez – Young, solid and worth holding on to.
- A.J. DeLaGarza – Cheap and someone who really started to look good late in the year.
- Michael Stephens – Cheap rookie from 2010 that really helped out during the World Cup months.
- Sean Franklin – Another young defender in this bunch.
- Juninho – One of the better moves LA made over the last few years. He wants to stay in LA, and they want him there.
- Todd Dunivant – Veteran worth holding on to.
- Alex Cazumba – Another Brazilian I think they’ll try to hold on to.
Those unprotected are:
- Chris Birchall
- Mike Magee
- Gregg Berhalter
- Bryan Jordan
- Jovan Kirovski
- Dema Kovalenko
- Yohance Marshall
- Brian Perk
- Josh Saunders
Players protected via Generation adidas/Home Grown Talent:
- Tristan Bowen
Like I mentioned above the loan players are tricky to figure out. I have them protecting two of the three Brazilians here over someone like Birchall or Magee. Should the loan deals not be extended on these guys then go a head and place those two in for the Brazilians.
Aside from that I’d say the first 8 listed are total locks and I’d even throw Dunivant into that mix.