- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On November 10, 2010
- 1 Comments
- 2010 Expansion Draft
Today is the last expansion draft list of the non-playoff teams, hopefully tomorrow I’ll get into those teams who failed to move past the first round (Columbus, New York, Seattle and RSL). Today we look at the Kansas City Wizards, possibly one of the easier teams to predict here for this month’s expansion draft with Portland and Vancouver.
So far I’ve covered the Chicago Fire, Chivas USA, D.C. United, the Philadelphia Union, the Houston Dynamo, and the New England Revolution, and Toronto FC. As always for those curious about the expansion draft rules click here (there are some funky rules about international players and what not).
This will be an interesting off season for the Wizards I believe. They have some house cleaning that will likely take place as Peter Vermes may look to dump some veterans plus there is the pending name change that is bound to happen to the club. Let’s not forget the new shiny stadium that they’ll open in 2011 as well. KC has a solid mix of young players that were vital in their mid-season success this year that nearly pushed them into the playoffs.
Below are the 11 players I see being protected, in this I’m assuming they won’t need to protect Omar Bravo seeing how he won’t even join the club until January.
- Kei Kamara – Their most productive player this year, he finally found a system that works for him.
- Ryan Smith – One of the best wing midfielders in the league in my opinion.
- Stephane Auvray – Another one of their newcomers that worked very well for them this year.
- Jimmy Nielsen – I look for him to take home the Goalkeeper of the Year award in 2011, or at least be in the running.
- Craig Rocastle – He’s bounced around a bunch in his career but I think KC was a good fit for him.
- Davy Arnaud – One of their leaders in the locker room, can’t replace that easily.
- Roger Espinoza – He’ll graduate from his GA contract which means they’ll have to protect him.
- Michael Harrington – One of their better defenders.
- Matt Besler – Surprisingly left unprotected last year, he won’t be this time around.
- Shavar Thomas – helped improve their defense after a mid-season trade.
- Jimmy Conrad – Hard to imagine him not in a KC uniform.
The unprotected are:
- Korede Aiyegbusi
- Jamar Beasley
- Sunil Chhetri
- Birahim Diop
- Aaron Hohlbein
- Jack Jewsbury
- Nick Kounenakis
- Eric Kronberg
- Jonathan Leathers
- Josh Wolff
- Graham Zusi
Exempt due to Generation adidas/Home Grown Talent:
- Teal Bunbury
- Chance Myers
- Jon Kempin
The hardest thing with KC was figuring out whether or not to protect or unprotect Conrad. After all the trade rumors last year it seems like it wouldn’t be a total shocker to see him exposed here, plus his contract is fairly high. Some KC fans will want to keep Jewsbury but I see him getting the short end of the stick here. For me it was really Conrad or Zusi. If some how Myers graduates from his GA contract then I’d imagine Conrad won’t be protected here.
I also wonder how much the team really values Chhetri now too. They did invest a good amount of time into landing him last year, even though he did a whole lotta nothing for them on the field.