- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On November 1, 2010
- 0 Comments
- 2010 Expansion Draft
Moving on in our expansion draft coverage here. So far we’ve gone through Chivas USA, D.C. United, the Philadelphia Union and the New England Revolution. For those curious about the expansion draft rules click here.
The Houston Dynamo failed to reach the post season in 2010 for the first time since the club relocated to Houston. The club wasn’t able to get over the injury bug early on in the year and they failed to really get over the mass amounts of losses of key players like Ricardo Clark and Stuart Holden. The offense again lacked a serious punch while the usually strong defense was really the issue this season. The Dynamo allowed a ton of goals (49, second most in the league).
There shouldn’t be too many shockers in the Dynamo protection list so below is where I think Dominic Kinnear will go:
- Brian Ching – He’s their leader, really no reason not to protect him.
- Bobby Boswell – Still solid in the back even though this wasn’t his best year.
- Geoff Cameron – Could be an interesting winter with him, I believe his contract is close to being up.
- Danny Cruz – He’s starting to look like a real winner for Kinnear.
- Brad Davis – One of the best assist-men in the league, can’t replace his production easily.
- Andrew Hainault – With a Canadian club picking you can’t leave this quality of a defender open for their taking.
- Lovel Palmer – One of the few internationals that will be protected.
- Adrien Serioux – Another international to protect, plus he’s Canadian.
- Mike Chabala – Had a solid enough season, worth protecting.
- Corey Ashe – Young, cheap and played lots of minutes this past year.
- Dominic Oduro – Not always great but his speed would be tough to replace.
Players to be left unprotected:
- Cam Weaver
- Pat Onstead
- Tally Hall
- Anthony Obodai
- Samuel Appiah
- Ryan Cochrane
- Richard Mulrooney
- Joseph Ngwenya
- Eddie Robinson
- Colin Clark
Players exempt due to Homegrown status/Generation adidas
- Tyler Deric
- Francisco Navas Cobo
My picks were pretty simple. I went fairly young on their roster instead of protecting older players which has pretty much been the way they’ve done things over the last couple years. Onstad may be Canadian and unprotected yet again but I doubt Vancouver would take him. Then again Houston may be okay with it since they have two young keepers waiting in the wings. They may protect Tally Hall over someone like Oduro since they protected him last year but I’m just banking on the fact that both Vancouver and Portland will have at least one keeper signed before this draft (Portland already does).
Of the ones left unprotected by my predictions you could see Weaver, Ngwenya or even someone like Clark selected. I throw Clark in the mix because even though he’s had injury issues all his career it seems, a pickup in a draft like this wouldn’t be the worst thing for one of these two clubs. When healthy he can be very dangerous on the wings.