- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On October 15, 2010
- 3 Comments
- 2018 World Cup, 2022 World Cup, World Cup bids
I believe most of us saw this coming before long. As FIFA is set to announce who will host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups later this year its been no secret they want a European nation to host the 2018 Cup. The US had been holding strong to the fact that they could host at any given time but today the US Bid committee decided to withdraw their bid for the 2018 Cup and focus solely on the 2022 Cup.
“For some time we have been in conversations with FIFA and UEFA about the possibility of focusing only on the 2022 bidding process, an option we have made reference to many times,” said Sunil Gulati, Chairman of the USA Bid Committee and President of U.S. Soccer. “We are confident this is in the best interests of the USA Bid.”
“We have had an open and constructive dialogue with the USA Bid for some time now, after it became apparent that there was a growing movement to stage the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Europe,” said FIFA Secretary General Jérôme Valcke. “The announcement today by the USA Bid to focus solely on the 2022 FIFA World Cup is therefore a welcome gesture which is much appreciated by FIFA.”
The 2018 Cup is now down to four European candidates: Belgium/Netherlands, England, Russia and Spain/Portugal. The US will still go against Australia, Japan, Korea Republic, and Qatar.
A lot can change between now and December when FIFA votes on this matter but I still believe the 2022 World Cup is all but a given for the US to host now. I really only see Australia and Qatar being the real competition in this bid as FIFA loves expanding to new places like Qatar. Now if China still decides they want to host the World Cup in 2026 then you can bet none of the Asian bids that the US is going against for 2022 will even have a chance to win in December.