- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On April 5, 2010
- 9 Comments
- Adolfo Bautista, Arjen Robben, Designated Player, Omar Brava, Patrick Vieira, Pavel Pardo, Robert Pires, Thierry Henry
I’ve given this new look designated player rule a lot of thought these last few days. I’ve gone back and forth over who the clubs should be going after now that the rules are relaxed a bit. We know the DP rule comes with some advantages and disadvantages. We also know that some clubs are going to be more reluctant to use it even with the lower cap hit.
With the World Cup this summer it was a perfect time for the league to expand the rule. Its no longer about bringing in a high profile guy to boost your club on and off the field. More clubs have learned that you can’t always get a David Beckham or a Blanco. And a lot of clubs know that for every Beckham comes a Denilsen or a Marcello Gallardo.
The risk is there but the risk is worth taking for most clubs.
So who exactly will the clubs be looking at for their DP slots? No doubt clubs like Seattle, New York, LA and Toronto already have their eyes set on a number of guys to throw money at. It wouldn’t shock me to see a couple others take a gamble this summer after the World Cup either.
I have my list as probably most of you do too. Most are the names we’ve seen for months, if not years now. Some are based on rumors, and some will be a total pipe dream. There’s a good chance we’ll only see one or two of these guys in a MLS uniform in the next year or so but you just never know. The new additions to this rule could really be a game changer in MLS.
1. Thierry Henry, F. – I don’t think we have to mention why this one would be so big. Three clubs are likely to go after him this summer. Seattle, LA and New York. In all honesty its down to Seattle and NY in my book. There isn’t a bigger player on the planet that is willing enough to come over to MLS right now. He’s the new Beckham if you will, and one that may take the league where most thought Beckham would take it to. Its hard to see MLS going for a transfer fee to get him this summer but we’ve seen crazier things happen with big stars before.
2. Clarence Seedorf, M. – Here’s a big dream right here, getting someone like Seedorf in MLS. He’s 34 right now but believe me he’s still got plenty in the tank. I could see him fitting in well in a LA locker room right now too.
3. Omar Brava, F. – No doubt this would rival Blanco in terms of impact in the Latin community in MLS. At 30, he’d be one of the best strikers the league has ever seen too. You think Chivas USA could use him right now? No doubt he would get some sellouts at the HDC if they brought him in.
4. Adolfo “Bofo” Bautista, F. – Another Mexican star that has come close in the past to a move to MLS, if you believe the rumors. He’d be a good fit in Houston, Dallas, Chivas or with Chicago.
5. Patrick Vieira, M. – His deal is up with Manchester City in June, might be the perfect time to throw some cash his way and get him on this side of the pond. He’d look good in New York, New England or with Philadelphia I would think.
6. Ruud van Nistelrooy, F. – Apparently he’s a friend of RSL owner Dave Checketts. Seriously? Come on Dave, get your boy over here! Could you imagine him alongside Robbie Findley? No doubt RSL would repeat if they had his finishing up top. Too bad he just signed a 18-month contact with Hamberg. Maybe next summer right?
7. Arjen Robben, M. – One of the best wing midfielders I’ve ever seen. No doubt we are years and I mean years away from seeing him in MLS but he’s definitely one for the future. File this one under the pipe dream category.
8. David Suazo, F. – I think we could say his time with Inter Milan is done, perfect time for a MLS club to throw some cash his way to get him over here. The Honduran would be a major player in this league and should be able to adapt to the style of the league rather quickly.
9. Robert Pires, M. – Still loads of creativity and flare in this guy. Wouldn’t it be something to see him linked up with his former Arsenal mate Freddie Ljungberg in Seattle? I’d pay to see that.
10. Pavel Pardo, D/M. – Hearing more rumors about this guy possibly making the jump. He’s another Latin star that would make a solid impact in the league.