- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On December 14, 2009
- 0 Comments
- 2010 MLS SuperDraft, Austin de Luz, Corben Bone, Dilly Duka, Luis Gil, Teal Bunbury, Tony Tchani
Tough decisions all around Philadelphia right now for Peter Nowak and company. If the expansion draft wasn’t enough the club now has the fun of figuring out who exactly to take with their first overall pick in next month’s SuperDraft. Yesterday afternoon the college soccer season came to a close and right away a few names jumped out for who they should take.
Obviously nothing is set in stone with some of these guys and the debate can go around and around some circles but a few guys below might declare for the draft in the coming weeks as either they sign with the league as a Generation adidas player or just sign with the league like most rookies will eventually do around the draf time.
Below are a few guys I see fit as solid choices for the number one pick. Feel free to leave your thoughts below with who you think should be the top pick.
– Ike Opera (Wake Forest): Lots of folks have him as the top choice and as we’ve seen in years past the leading guy going into the draft to be the top pick isn’t always the case (2008 most expect Patrick Nyarko to be number one, he wasn’t). While Union does have a solid set of defenders already grabbing Opera wouldn’t be a dumb pick at all, it would set their defense up for a few years to come as Opera is an instant starter in my mind on day one.
– Tony Tchani (Virginia): One thing this club lacks right now is a playmaker in the midfield and Tchani could be that guy that helps them out in that department. He reminds me a lot of a Shalrie Joseph type workhorse, with the size and skill. But he may even had some of the offensive skill that we see in a playmaker like what Christian Gomez has been in the past.
– Dilly Duka (U-20s): Already signed with the league but the question will become does Philly grab him as trade bait for New York? Could be a move they make but I still have a feeling he ends up in New York no matter what (similar to Freddy Adu).
– Teal Bunbury (Akron): His skills are raw but this kid showed me a lot over the last few months. No doubt he will be a Generation adidas player if he comes out and signs with the league. One thing the Union do need is good attacking options and Bunbury up top with Alejandro Moreno could be a very fun combination to watch.
– Austin de Luz (Wake Forest): Up until this past weekend I hadn’t seen Wake Forest play in a few weeks and I must say I forgot exactly how good this kid was over that time. de Luz may be one of the most MLS ready players out there right now. He’s a lefty that some coaches would love to have right now and even better he makes those around him so much better. He’s a playmaker that could really develop into something special on the next level. Thing is most don’t have him as a top overall pick right now but he’s definitely going in the top ten.
– Luis Gil (U-17s): The big IF is Gil. IF he signs with the league he very well could be a top pick in the draft. He’s young and loaded with potential but the thing is he wouldn’t be in the league for long as he is the type that will be looking to make a jump overseas. Is it worth taking someone that may need some development that won’t be on the roster in a couple years? Toronto did it with Maurice Edu and you can be the judge if that’s paid off for them.
– Corben Bone (Wake Forest): Another dangerous offensive player that would be a great fit in Philadelphia. Some have him rated very high for this draft and I’m one of them as well. No doubt he’ll be a top five pick, just wonder can he sneak up the board to the top spot? When Philly needed some offense it may very well happen.