- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On July 22, 2009
- 2 Comments
- MLS Expansion, Montreal Expansion
Things could get a little juicy in the MLS expansion front next week. As the league heads into another All-Star break it means we should hear another address from MLS commissioner Don Garber on the state of things in the league. One of those items that should be discussed as always is expansion.
Reports out of Canada suggest Montreal expansion talk will be on the menu in some fashion for the league commissioner.
“My understanding is that expansion isn’t on the agenda per se, but the Montreal dossier is,” Impact president Joey Saputo told The Gazette. “We should hear from them again right after the all-star break to know what the next steps are.”
The Impact is looking to join North America’s premier professional soccer league by 2012, if not sooner.
An indication that Montreal will get serious consideration came last week when Garber told the New York Daily News that Montreal and St. Louis were high on the list as expansion possibilities.
Saputo sounds pretty confident to me as the article reads on too.
“Sometimes no news is good news. That’s the approach I’m taking,” he said. “Our talks with MLS on how to make things happen by 2011 or 2012 are still ongoing,
“From our standpoint, I don’t think we’re going to go through a bid process,” Saputo added.
“They understand where we are. We understand where they are and it’s just trying to make it happen.”
To me this still sounds like Montreal will get on the expansion plan for the league for no later than 2012. I’d still be kind of shocked to see the league add them for 2011 along with Portland and Vancouver. I do still believe that Montreal will be just like Seattle (and even Portland or Vancouver) when entering the league. The fan base is there and so will a few players from the current roster.
Right now it isn’t down to money like it is with other bids but more down to just time.