- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On December 30, 2008
- 14 Comments
- 2009 Season Predictions
Kind of an annual tradition here. Predictions that are sure to go wrong in some categories and sure to go completely right in others. Time will only tell which way they go but it’s something I like to do every year before the ball drops at the start of a new calendar year.
Some items here will be included in the actual season predictions that I will do later on in March but some of this is just New Year’s wishes for different clubs and players.
As always feel free to add your own way too early predictions below.
- Houston Dynamo will not win CONCACAF Champions League – They may come close but I think they will need to sign an impact player between now and February to make me want to change this thought. I do see them getting to at least the semi-final of the knock-out phase.
- Two Expansion Site Will Be: St. Louis and Miami. As much as I’d love to see Portland I just know the league isn’t going to pass over Miami right now. The Barcelona deal is too sweet for them to go over right now and St. Louis will somehow have the right mix of investors this time around to get the league’s attention.
- Miami will not begin play in 2010 – No matter what they say the league will make sure they won’t start play until 2011. Which may cause some issues causing Barcelona to possible back out of the bid but in the end they will stay on board and wait it out another year.
- Houston and KC will break ground – I think 2009 will be another good year for the league in terms of SSS. Those two plus St. Louis will have stadiums in the works. Plus the opening of Red Bull Arena will be great.
- David Beckham will return to MLS – He will flirt with Milan until the loan is over. But once it is done he will return to the league and actually play well in 2009. He had a solid 2008 but I see him doing even better in 2009 under an actual coach in Bruce Arena.
- Freddy Adu will return to MLS – I hear his stay in Europe isn’t going well. What’s a boy to do? Come home Freddy. Question is will a MLS club spend the big bucks on him because you know he will have to have a DP style contract. I say he is worth it if he is wiling to return home.
- Other Americans will return to MLS – I won’t name names just yet but some guys that have been in Europe who aren’t seeing much playing time will flirt with the idea of coming to MLS. I see at least three or four American return home in 2009.
- Kenny Cooper will finally go aborad – Dallas will finally cave in (due to pressure from the league) this coming summer when another club offers some big bucks for SuperCooper. It will be worth it in the end when Dallas is able to sign a really good DP in the process.
- Landon Donovan will go to Europe in 2009 – Someone will pony up the cash for LandyCakes and he will finally get his wish to play abroad again. This time around however he actually stays and doesn’t get home sick.
- Two DPs will sign before March – I think Toronto will get their DP on board, as will Houston.
- Three clubs will sign African players – It was a hit last year for the Revs and I see three other clubs looking to the best place right now for cheap talent in the World. I think Seattle, New York and Toronto all cash in on a cheap but talented player from Africa.
- A MLS Club will win SuperLiga – Sure the middle of the pack will be playing in this tournament now, but I think New England will repeat as North American champions.
- The CBA will get renewed before next December – I think this issue will actually be a non-issue before the end of the summer. The league will not want this to get out of their hands and right now I don’t see the Players Union doing enough to get what they want…high wages. In the end the league will raise a few minimums enough to keep them happy for a couple more years.
- Seattle will win 8 games but miss the playoffs – This won’t be a playoff team right from the start but neither is any expansion club. I want to see how Sigi drafts next month and what other signings they make before I stamp them as a good or bad team. Right now I see them as a typical expansion club that could be good.
- Playoff clubs will include: Auto-bids from the East include Columbus and Chicago, auto-bids from the West will include Houston and Real Salt Lake. Wild card clubs will be New England, Chivas USA, San Jose, and Toronto. Its going to be a really tight race for those wild card spots.
That’s all I have for now. I would make a prediction for Supporter’s Shield and MLS Cup winner but I just don’t feel up to it right now. I waited a bit long to make these predictions instead of doing it right after MLS Cup a month ago like I meant to. Too many moves have happened since then so I will hold off until March.