- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On November 17, 2008
- 14 Comments
- Expansion Draft
Some fans expected that once Real Salt Lake hosted a playoff game that could send them to the MLS Cup that they would be well on their way to that very promise land of a game. Instead they crashed and burned this past to the New York Red Bulls in the 1-0 loss on Saturday.
Now they are stuck at home for the MLS Cup and will have to begin figuring out who to protect in the upcoming Expansion Draft.
And of course, to recap about the rules, go here.
- Javier Morales – No way on Earth Morales gets left unprotected.
- Jamison Olave – Unsung hero of the defense this year for RSL.
- Kenny Deuchar – To keep the Doctor or not to keep the Doctor, that will be the question. I think they will protect him though either way.
- Kyle Beckerman – The rock in the middle of the field for RSL, when he is on his game he shows signs of being on of the best in the league.
- Robbie Findley – Another forward with a bright outlook on his future, can’t see RSL giving him up that easily.
- Nat Borchers – Another defensive star for RSL. He really did help improve their defense this year.
- Will Johnson – The offense started to click a little more with Johnson in the line up.
- Yura Movsisyan – When he is on his game he truly could be one of the next good strikers in MLS. Just waiting for it to remain consistent.
- Robbie Russell – A decent part to the puzzle this year for RSL.
- Nathan Sturgis – When healthy he shows very good promise for the future.
- Chris Wingert – A solid defender most of the time, one that I wouldn’t want to give up in an expansion draft at least.
Not Protected, Could Be Taken:
- Ian Joy – Thought about leaving him as a protected player but I feel that he is a high risk-high reward type guy for any defense.
- Nikolas Besagno – He should be graduating from the GA class this year before this draft. I think a relocation would be a wise move for this kid.
- Kenny Cutler – He’s a guy I am not sure about. One second I think he will be protected and another second I think not. For me it really came down to him and Wingert for that final spot.
Not Protected, Probably Won’t Be Taken:
- Chris Seitz/Tony Beltran/Alex Nimo – All GA contracts make them protected.
- Nick Rimando – keeping up with the unprotected keepers theme.
- Fabian Espindola – The one international that I think will get left unprotected here.
- Clint Mathis/Dema Kovalenko – Two high risk-high reward type guys. I just don’t see them protected or taken here in this draft due to higher contracts and age.
RSL is actually one of the few clubs that I feel are in a good position either way in this draft. If they play their cards right they should be able to not have to give up much in this draft, if anything at all. They have a good foundation of veteran players that won’t get picked due to contracts that may be too high for Seattle’s liking and enough young guys worth protecting. I may be wrong to some about leaving a couple veterans unprotected but they have enough youth that has to be protected here for the future. Also I really wonder if they will ever do anything with Chris Seitz, maybe a move this offseason? We will see.