- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On November 14, 2008
- 10 Comments
- Expansion Draft
If losing in the Eastern Conference final wasn’t bad enough, the Chicago Fire now have the fun reality of figuring out what is next for their club. The season is over and that means they have to turn their attention to the Expansion Draft that is coming up in a matter of only a couple more weeks.
Chicago has a good mix of veteran and young players. Some solid internationals and a couple guys that are probably looking to bolt now that their season is done.
And of course, to recap about the rules, go here.
- Cuauhtemoc Blanco – He’s coming back for another year from what was said last night.
- Brian McBride – He showed he still is one of the best this year.
- Marco Pappa – A young international that I really believe will be one of the best wingers in 2009.
- John Thorrington – A personal favorite, I’d hate to see him leave Chicago.
- Gonzalo Segares – One of the better defenders in the league, I had him as the best this year, no way Chicago would give him up that easily.
- Chris Rolfe – One of the young guns on this offense.
- Logan Pause – I started to come around to linking this guy towards the second half of the year.
- Wilman Conde – Even though they say he wants out, and he probably will leave, I believe he will be protected regardless.
- Andy Herron – The presky international rules will make them have to protect Herron.
- Stephen King – One of the younger guys that showed plenty of promise this year.
- Justin Mapp – A real no brainer really.
Not Protected, Could Be Taken:
- Mike Banner- Another young guy that may be left unprotected that would be a decent pickup.
- Calen Carr – At times showed real talent, and at times showed skills on the bench.
Not Protected, Probably Won’t Be Taken:
- Jon Busch – Seattle doesn’t need a keeper, even if Busch is the best in the league right now I just don’t see them protecting him when they need to protect some other young players.
- C.J. Brown – Veteran defender would be a good pickup I just don’t know about Brown being that candidate.
- Diego Gutierrez – Kind of in the same boat as Brown. Gutierrez is set to retire after this season.
- Patrick Nyarko/Bakery Soumare – GA contracts. Thing is I’m not sure if this is the year that Sourmare graduates from the GA program. If he is then you have to put him at the top in the protected list.
The Fire are an interesting bunch. They have either a bunch of older veterans or a bunch of young developmental players. Which makes it pretty tough to figure out who they will and will not protect. I know Conde is said to be as good as gone with the club but I have a hunch they will protect him anyways and try to get him to stay one more year. As for guys like Rolfe and Mapp, I don’t know if they have any ideas of going to Europe at this time but that shouldn’t matter as they will be protected.