- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On November 13, 2008
- 4 Comments
- Game Predictions, Game Previews, MLS Cup Playoffs, MLS Primetime Thursday
With the game a mere two hours or so away, I put this preview/prediction off long enough. I must admit, I have no idea who I think will win or even who I’d want to win this game between Chicago and Columbus. Part of me thinks Chicago and the other part of me kind of wants Columbus.
That’s what makes this game have some solid hype to it. Its really what should be this year’s MLS Cup. Not to be rude to Salt Lake or New York fans but really this is a better MLS Cup type matchup than anything that is potentially out there for the actual game.
What makes this matchup great is you have so many good storylines and matchups to follow.
- You have Brian McBride returning to his old grounds. Columbus fans must love that.
- The Blanco-Schelotto matchup in the middle seems more than great. Two MVP candidates in one game is what the playoffs should be about.
- Two really good defenses going head to head.
- Crew Stadium and its rowdy fans in the corner near the stage.
- The few hundred Chicago fans that will be at this game.
- Two of the best midfield units in MLS going at it.
- One of the best home side going up against one of the best road sides.
Yeah it truly should be a great game.
I think Chicago has the MLS Cup-type of club right now with the way they are playing but then again Columbus has shown a lot of hear this year. Both games between the clubs this year left us little to go with as they were both 2-2 draws.
In the end it will be close. I think McBride gets the Fire up early but the Crew come back and win it late. But really this game could go either way.
WVH Prediction: Columbus 2, Chicago 1