- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On November 10, 2008
- 8 Comments
- Expansion Draft
Three more clubs saw their season come to and end this past weekend, so that means we can continue on in our discussion on the upcoming Expansion Draft in MLS. I will also get into a recap for those teams that failed to reach the conference finals either later today or sometime tomorrow.
Today’s focus is on Chivas USA. The AmeriGoats saw their season end on Saturday night with a 2-2 draw to RSL. The draw wasn’t good enough to advance since RSL had won the series opener a week prior. So Chivas now has a figure out where to go next and next is the expansion draft.
And of course, to recap about the rules, go here.
- Sacha Kljestan – Even if he is leaving for Europe (which I believe he will) they still need have to protect their best player.
- Jonathan Bornstein – One of the best defenders has to be protected. I don’t see Bornstein moving on to Europe just yet, maybe another year with the Goats.
- Sasha Victorine – Victorine really changed the way this club played when he came over from KC. He’d be a solid addition to a young Seattle club so I don’t see Chivas giving him up that easily.
- Claudio Suarez – Protect the old international or not. I think they will just out of respect.
- Atiba Harris – Harris had another decent season, better with Chivas than RSL in my opinion. I think Preki likes this guy enough to keep him on for another year.
- Jorge Flores – Can’t see them not protecting this kid. It’d be a damn shame if they did.
- Ante Razov – I kind of see him getting traded this offseason for some reason but until then they will keep him.
- Francisco Mendoza – The lone Mexican on this club, I’m sure it is a rule that they have to protect him since he is Mexican.
- Paulo Nagamura – I like Paulo, he’s a real hard worker in the middle of the field. And you know he fits this club.
- Justin Braun – Not giving up one of the better rookies from this year.
- Shavar Thomas – Another defender that they will need to protect.
Not Protected, Could Be Taken:
- Maykel Galindo – If there is one forward that Seattle will take, I think it will be Galindo. He and Preki have had some issues this year and I kinda believe it means they will leave him unprotected. If they do end up protecting him, he will get traded.
- Alex Zotinca – Seattle will want defense, and Zotinca would be a decent one to get.
Not Protected, Probably Wont Be Taken:
- Alecko Eskandarian – Chivas won’t protect him, and Seattle won’t take him.
- Jim Curtin – They could protect him or Seattle could take him but I honestly don’t think Seattle would waste a pick on Curtin.
Chivas is interesting. They have plenty of young players (and international players) but not too many of them are going to be worth a protection and probably not going to be worth a selection on Seattle’s part. Like do you protect a guy like Raphael Wicky, someone who hardly played all year? Or another like Roberto Nurse, who ended up being kind of a dud of a pickup? Plus most of the younger players aren’t worth protecting either right now.
I think Galindo is the wildcard. I see them getting rid of him some how this off season and the expansion draft is the easiest way to do so, especially since Galindo has ties to Seattle and the Sounders.