- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On October 29, 2008
- 12 Comments
- Expansion Draft
This will probably be the last of the expansion draft list until after the first round of the playoff concludes, when at that time I will go through the next four clubs that will be in prep mode for the draft in late November. Hard to believe it but MLS Cup is less than a month away kiddies.
And of course, as always, to recap about the rules, go here.
- Conor Casey – By far their best player this season, no way they’d let him go. Plus I am eager to see if they figure out a way to build around him this off season because he clearly stepped his game up late in the year.
- Cory Gibbs – This guy pretty much got their defense back on track once he landed, hell he didn’t play a full season and he was named the club’s defender of the year.
- Christian Gomez – I really wonder what they will do with Gomez this off season, even if they don’t deal him (which I think they may) he will be protected.
- Colin Clarke – Still waiting for this kid to really come alive in MLS. He’s still too good to not protect.
- Omar Cummings – One of their young guns on offense…they’d be too stupid to not protect him
- Bouna Coundoul – Even though Seattle has no need for a keeper they will protect him.
- Ugo Ihemelu – Another defender that they will need to protect because Seattle will be going defensive.
- Tom McManus – One of their best players, was voted Newcomer of the Year by the club.
- Mike Petke – Veteran defender, a must keep
- Nick LaBrocca – Young midfielder, would be an easy pick for Seattle if you ask me if he were unprotected.
- Kosuke Kimura – Kinda wonder if Seattle would want an Asian player based on their market but Colorado needs defense and Kimura makes sense to protect over some other defenders that they currently have.
Not Protected, Could Be Taken:
- Mehdi Ballouchy – I know he is a bust but I really question whether or not he will be protected here. A real fresh start may be the answer for this kid.
- Jacob Peterson – A solid midfielder that is waiting to get his dues in.
- Jordan Harvey – Another defender that I wonder if they will protect or not. I kind of see him left unprotected and Colorado run the risk of letting him go.
Not Protected, Probably Won’t Be Taken:
- Pablo Mastroeni – He’s done with MLS anyways, no need to protect a guy that is headed to Europe
- Jose Burciaga Jr. – I was temped to say he could be taken but I just have a feeling he isn’t work the trouble.
- Facundo Erpen – Same as Burciaga Jr.
Colorado also has a couple Generation adidas players that will be safe in this draft, which is a good thing because you’d probably see one of them picked.
The Rapids have some options for Seattle. I still wonder if they will protect Gomez or not after the way he ended the season with the club. More than likely he will be out the door anyways this winter in some kind of trade. Plus I am wondering what they will do in terms of coaching. That will go a long way in figuring out who will stay and who will go.