- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On October 14, 2008
- 2 Comments
- MLS Power Rankings, Playoff Push
Only two weeks to go right now in the 2008 season. Five playoff spots have been determined but three are still up for grabs as nine other MLS clubs are still in contention. A few movers in this week’s power rankings, but nothing too crazy.
1. Columbus Crew (54 pts., same) – There’s really no way anyone passes Columbus up top here in the final two weeks of the year. They’ve wrapped up the Supporter’s Shield and have still looked very solid in the process.
2. Houston Dynamo (44 pts., same) – The draw to DC ended Houston’s hopes at a Supporter’s Shield but more importantly I am wondering if this club will run out of gas before the playoffs begin. A lot of tired legs out there.
3. Chicago Fire (43 pts., up 1) – There was a big reason why they wanted Brian McBride. He proved that this past weekend against Columbus. Still this club looks a bit out of sync from what we saw most of the year. I’m curious to see if they can find their form in the final couple weeks of the year. Right now it looks like they will get New England in the playoffs, which should be a good thing for the Fire.
4. New England Revolution (43 pts., down 1) – Lacking consistent play lately but more important they lost Steve Ralston for the rest of the year. That blow may just end their MLS Cup hopes in my mind.
5. Chivas USA (42 pts., same) – Looking better and better each week. Preki better get plenty of votes for Coach of the Year after keeping this club together through all the injuries that have ravaged this club this season. Now they are healthy and looking dangerous.
6. FC Dallas (35 pts., same) – Kenny Cooper saves Dallas once more. My question is was that the last time that he saved him in Pizza Hut Park? The playoff hopes now go to the road, where Dallas has been much better than they have been at home this season.
7. Real Salt Lake (36 pts., up 1) – Coasting in right now is RSL. Rio Tinto looks great but this club hasn’t looked great in weeks.
8. New York Red Bulls (36 pts., up 1) – Nice draw on the road but the last two games will be tough for this club. Between New York and KC getting in I would say New York has a much tougher road than KC to get in right now.
9. Kansas City Wizards (36 pts., up 2) – The schedule absolutely helps this club. If they fail to reach the playoffs it will be due to their horrible play on the road.
10. San Jose Earthquakes (30 pts., down 3) – Dropping like a fly right now. Three wins should get them in but its highly unlikely here. They lose tomorrow to Houston and they are done.
11. Colorado Rapids (34 pts., down 1) – Defense has given up 10 goals in the last three games. That my friends is one of the many reasons why they won’t be in the playoffs in 2008.
12. LA Galaxy (32 pts., up 2) – The win again delayed elimination. But it was still a nice win over Colorado. The second straight win at home was probably still too little too late for the Galaxy.
13. DC United (34 pts., down 1) – Sure it was a good draw that keeps them in contention but with all the injuries this club still has little hope of reaching the second season this year.
14. Toronto (32 pts., down 1) – They can blame the refs or themselves but really this club hasn’t looked like a playoff contender in months. 2009 sounds like a good year to do it though.