- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On September 3, 2008
- 0 Comments
- Expansion Hopeful, MLS Expansion, Portland, Portland Expansion
While Portland may have not finished in the top two of the WVH Poll for expansion (that nod went to St. Louis and Montreal), they have put out their plan today for MLS expansion, including what they plan to do with current Timbers venue PGE Park.
According to MLStoPortland.com, the plan to renovate PGE Park includes:
- Modification Timeline
- Phase I Changes – Among other modifications, key changes include wider concourses enabling larger crowds and development of new facilities for the MLS team.
- Phase II Changes – Among other modifications, key changes include permanent stands and concessions on 18th Ave. side of PGE Park and a restaurant with a view of the playing field on the upper deck of the park’s north end.
- Importance of building Timbers brand at next level of soccer
- Desire to keep Portland Timbers name
- Build upon best features of current soccer experience, including section 107
- Add amenities to enhance overall game experience for all
The plan all seems good, but it probably still hangs on if Merritt Paulson can get a new baseball park for his Triple-A club.
I do think that putting all this information out there helps Portland and could hurt some other hopefuls out there. Their plan seems to be pretty well thought out and having their city behind it really helps. This bid could very well spoil some out there.
For more information on the renovation plan and other items, download this information .