- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On August 25, 2008
- 0 Comments
- Clint Dempsey, DaMarcus Beasley, Eddie Johnson, Freddy Adu, Michael Orozco, Oguchi Onyewu, Tim Howard, Yanks Abroad, Yanks Abroad Weekend Recap
Call it a new feature here on WVH, while I’m trying to maintain focus on the MLS playoff race; this is something I’ve been wanting to do for a while now, a focus on the Americans abroad in other leagues. I was going to debut this last week but honestly ran out of time early in the week so I put it off until today.
Hopefully this will evolve a bit more over time but for now its just going to be a simple rundown of how everyone did this weekend in their respective leagues.
Some Yanks had the weekend off, some didn’t make it back to their respective clubs after the World Cup qualifier on Wednesday in Guatemala.
Biggest news may be out of France, Freddy Adu did make his debut for AS Monaco this weekend, playing just three minutes in place of Jeremy Menez. We could see Adu replace Menez at Monaco here real soon as from what I’ve been reading Menez is looking to transfer out. That could be a very good thing for Adu as we all want to see him get more playing time, wherever he is.
If there are players I forgot to list feel free to list them below. Or if something is incorrect, also please post it below. As much as I try to focus on everyone I know I will miss or slip up on someone, somewhere.
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes, and made three saves in Everton’s 2-1 win against West Bromwich Albion on Saturday. Give this man an iron-man award for actually making the hustle back to England for this match, despite getting knocked in the head by Carlos Ruiz on Wednesday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes, and made zero saves in Aston Villa’s 3-2 loss to Stoke on Saturday. Ugly game really, I caught some of it and felt kind of bad for Friedel, his defense really looked bad in this one.
- Marcus Hahnemann started, played 90 minutes and made six saves in Reading’s 4-2 loss to Charlton on Saturday. Another ugly game, lots of goals though which was fun but defensively it was not pretty.
- Bobby Convey started and played 73 minutes for Reading.
- Clint Dempsey came off the bench and played 13 minutes in Fulham’s 1-0 win vs. Arsenal on Saturday.
- Jay DeMerit started and played 90 minutes in Watford’s 3-2 loss to Nottingham Forest on Saturday.
- Eddie Johnson did not dress in Cardiff City’s 2-2 tie vs. Norwich on Saturday. Might wanna cut Eddie a break, if you’ve seen this video you will know what I am talking about. The Grown-Ass Man clearly is a bit jet-lagged right now and knows very little of why he is playing in the Coca-Cola division.
- DaMarcus Beasley came off the bench and played nine minutes in Rangers’ 1-1 tie vs. Aberdeen on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu completed his transfer to Glascow. Give him a week or so, you will see him play and contend for a spot with this club.
- Neven Subotic started and played 90 minutes in Borussia Dortmund’s 1-1 tie vs. Bayern Munich on Saturday. Okay, Subotic isn’t exactly American (not yet at least)…he’s got an option to pick between the US and I believe Germany for National team play.
- Steve Cherundolo came off the bench and played 18 minutes in Hannover 96’s 0-0 tie vs. Energie Cottbus on Saturday.
- Sal Zizzo did not dress for Hannover 96.
- Heath Pearce dressed but did not play in Hansa Rostock’s 1-0 win vs. Alemania Aachen on Sunday.
- Brian Arguez did not dress in Hertha Berlin’s 1-1 tie vs. Arminia Bielefeld on Saturday.
- Grover Gibson started, played 52 minutes and drew a yellow card in Ahlen’s 3-0 loss to FC Augsburg on Sunday.
- Gregg Berhalter started and played 77 minutes in 1860 Munich’s 2-1 loss to Mainz on Sunday.
- Freddy Adu came off the bench and played three minutes in Monaco’s 1-1 tie vs. Caen on Saturday.
- Carlos Bocanegra started and played 82 minutes in Rennes’ 2-1 win vs. Lille on Sunday. Another iron-man here. Nice to see Bocanegra doing well again these days.
- Quentin Westberg dressed but did not play in FC Troyes’ 1-0 loss to Vannes OC on Friday.
- Oguchi Onyewu came off the bench and played 16 minutes in Standard Liege’s 3-0 win against KVC Westerlo on Saturday. Will this man get a transfer to England soon? Let’s wait and see.
- Danny Califf, Jeremiah White and Lee Nguyen were off this week.
- Troy Perkins and Valarenga plays Stromsgodset today.
- Adin Brown did not dress in Aalesund’s 1-0 loss to Tromso on Sunda.
- Clarence Goodson started, played 45 minutes and drew a yellow card in IK Start’s 2-0 win against Hodd on Saturday.
- Cam Weaver started, played 90 minutes and drew a yellow card in Haugesund’s 1-1 tie vs. Honefoss on Sunday.
- Kyle Veris started and played 90 minutes for Hodd.
- Jay Needham started, played 90 minutes and scored a goal in Alta’s 4-1 win vs. Bryne on Sunday.
- Michael Orozco did not dress in San Luis’ win against Tigres on Saturday.
- Daniel Hernandez started and played 90 minutes in Chiapas’ 3-2 win vs. America on Sunday.
- Jose Francisco Torres came off the bench and played 45 minutes in Pachuca’s 3-1 loss to UNAM Pumas.
- Jesus Padilla did not play in Chivas de Guadalajara’s 5-3 loss to Santos Laguna. He was serving a red card suspension.