Galaxy Defensive Stats

Galaxy Defensive Stats

• Posted by Drew Epperley
  • On August 5, 2008
  • 2 Comments
  • Bad Defenses, Stats

Getty ImagesTime again for some stats, for you stat lovers out there.

I don’t want to sound like I am a Galaxy-hater or anything here because I’m not. I mainly just want to make a point about their defense here and how down right bad they are in comparison to some of the all-time worst.

Currently the Galaxy are giving up just over two goals a game right now. That mark is good (or bad enough) for fifth all-time. Now those clubs above the Galaxy on this list were pretty bad and to the Galaxy’s credit they at least have some offense to help win them some games. Some of those clubs are up there in the all-time worst category. I don’t see LA finishing that bad but their defense surely is playing on that level. See for yourself:

1. Tampa Bay, 2001 2.52
2. Colorado, 1998, 2.16
3. Dallas, 2003 2.13
4. Miami, 1998, 2.12
5. LA, 2008 2.11
6. Chivas, 2005 2.09
7. New England, 1998 2.06
8. Real Salt Lake, 2005 2.03
9. NY/NJ, 1999 2.00
10. KC, 1996 1.97
– NY/NJ, 1998 1.97
– DC, 2000 1.97

It should also be noted that in the earlier years of MLS there was more goals being scored than there is right now. Right now the league average for goals-per-game is right around 2.6, back in the early days the league saw averages about 3.4 in some years.

So what do you all make of these numbers? I guess when you spend a large chunk of your team’s salary cap on offensive players, you tend to forget the important positions elsewhere on the pitch. Will this Galaxy defense go down as one of the all-time worst or will they turn it around before the end of the year?

• Doug

Its one of the hold-overs from American-sports-thinking to say that a team's defense is the sole responsibility of the back-five or back-four, whichever system you employ. The responsibility of a team's defense should lay squarely on the whole team. I see it in the over-35 league I play in, where you've got four or five defenders and everyone else is, technically, a forward because nobody wants to be a midfielder (we're all out of shape) and run the whole field. You're left with a huge gaping hole in the middle. I'm not saying the Galaxy are playing like an over-35 team but I see the same thing happening with huge holes in the midfield. <br />
    <br />
    It may not be pretty to watch, but the Italian national team defends as a team. They're not as good as, say, the Netherlands, in going forward, but at least both of the teams gave us a sense of what it means to play as a team this past Euro championship.<br />
    <br />
    And, now I come to my main point. All the trades and speculation about trades has left this team wandering in the dark. Its not a very good formula for playing as a team. Playing as a team is where a defense should come from, not from getting the right central defenders in place or making sure that you have speedy left-and-right backs. <br />
    <br />
    The lack of unity in this time lays squarely on the shoulders of Alexi Lalas. Get rid of him and stop all of the mindless trading; let this team – it doesn't matter who they are – gel as a team and play as a team. It won't happen this season but its something to build from – something that AEG probably doesn't want to hear.

• Its one of the hold-overs from American-sports-thinking to say that a team’s defense is the sole responsibility of the back-five or back-four, whichever system you employ. The responsibility of a team’s defense should lay squarely on the whole team. I see it in the over-35 league I play in, where you’ve got four or five defenders and everyone else is, technically, a forward because nobody wants to be a midfielder (we’re all out of shape) and run the whole field. You’re left with a huge gaping hole in the middle. I’m not saying the Galaxy are playing like an over-35 team but I see the same thing happening with huge holes in the midfield.

It may not be pretty to watch, but the Italian national team defends as a team. They’re not as good as, say, the Netherlands, in going forward, but at least both of the teams gave us a sense of what it means to play as a team this past Euro championship.

The lack of unity in this time lays squarely on the shoulders of Alexi Lalas. Get rid of him and stop all of the mindless trading; let this team – it doesn’t matter who they are – gel as a team and play as a team. It won’t happen this season but its something to build from – something that AEG probably doesn’t want to hear.