- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On July 30, 2008
- 0 Comments
- Jeff Cunningham, Trades
A few clubs out there are in need of attacking options as we head into the stretch run but one club decided today to pass on one of the all-time scoring leaders in Major League Soccer.
According to Ives Galarcep over at SBI, the New York Red Bulls have passed on Toronto FC’s doghouse striker Jeff Cunningham.
The New York Red Bulls are in desperate need of a speedy forward. They’re just not desperate enough to take a chance on Jeff Cunningham.
The Red Bulls passed on a chance to acquire Cunningham after being offered him by Toronto FC, a source with knowledge of the offer told SBI on Tuesday.
Toronto is trying to unload the Jamaican-born striker but is struggling to find a taker for a player who has not developed the best reputation around the league.
I’ve been saying for months that Cunningham would be on his way out of Toronto this season and it appears that the club is actively looking to move the troubled striker as much as they can. New York looked like a nice destination for Cunningham and his 99 career goals but New York apparently wasn’t desperate enough for those goals and his speed.
He’s played for four different clubs over the last four seasons but Toronto ended up not being his final stop.
There are still some likely destinations for Cunningham here as Toronto is probably getting desperate to unload him as soon as they can. It may be their asking price that may be too much for some clubs, they may think he is worth a little more than he actually is but desperation can cause teams to cave in quicker.
Below are the few clubs that I think would be in the running for Cunningham:
- Chivas USA: They’ve had some serious injury issues this year and adding another veteran striker to pair with Ante Razov could work.
- FC Dallas: Another club looking for attacking options but just how desperate they are for another striker is the question.
- Colorado Rapids: He did spend a season a couple years ago in Colorado and was pretty productive (12 goals in 26 games). Would he be up for a return to the Mile High City?
- Columbus Crew: Go back to Columbus? Would the fans go for it? Would he go for it? We know they need another striker for the stretch run but would Cunningham be the right fit?
- San Jose Earthquakes: Still looking for attacking options? A veteran striker like Cunningham would be a nice move don’t ya think?
Who else could use Cunningham now that the Red Bulls have passed up on him? Let’s hear it. Toronto fans where do you think he will end up at?