- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On June 16, 2008
- 12 Comments
- Game Recaps, MLS Weekend Recaps, Week 12
Not a good week to be on the losing end of the stick, then again no week is a good time to lose. But this week losing sides almost seemed nonexistent in this one. Losing teams only muster up two goals. Yes, just two goals for the losing sides this week, a big-time 17 goals for the winning sides this week.
Some weren’t as big as others but that is just the nature of the game too. A couple put up a fight in the losing effort, while others were out of it from the start of the game.
A very interesting week, mainly due to the vast dominance of some teams in the weekend.
As weird as it is to say this, but watch out folks, that team out in LA with David Beckham may actually be for real this season. Even with a hurt Beckham, probably an ineffective Beckham for more than a half of play the Galaxy showed us they have other guys who can pass the ball around and score.
New England continues to impress me a top the table. Toronto continues their strong play at home, who would have thought they’d be in third place right now when the season started?
The butts-in-seats look was helped by a game in Oakland for the Quakes. Good lord I cannot stand that venue. It just looks weird for soccer. Can’t they at least make it look like it does when a football team plays there? And you could tell that grass was not in good condition either. Lots of slipping out there. Other than that it was a pretty typical weekend across the board. Toronto, KC both sold out their place; DC posted good numbers considering a heavy rain storm in the area; Dallas even had its average numbers on a HOT Sunday afternoon (why wasn’t that game scheduled for Saturday night?); and Chivas posted their pathetic 10k …but hopefully that will change in a topic later on this afternoon!
So what stood out in each game? Let’s get to it:
Toronto FC 3 – 1 Colorado Rapids:
- Danny Dichio’s goal was a thing of pure class in the first half. Nothing Colorado could do about it and really their defense wasn’t doing much up until that point anyways. A goal was coming and Dichio hammered a beaut home.
- Toronto’s record at BMO Field this season to a league-best 5-0-2, what may be more impressive is their goals-against at home…just two all season.
- Rapids fans could make the excuse that they were missing too many players for this one, but then again so were the Reds.
- Finally some consistent play out of the Rapids though, too bad it was consistent play in the wrong direction. First stream of the season, a losing one.
- Weirdest yellow card reason I’ve ever seen on Saturday with Jeff Cunningham. He was carded for “trickery.” I didn’t know you could get carded for that. Wow.
- I must have missed something, why didn’t Christian Gomez start in this one? He scored a late goal to end the shutout but not the full 90. He must not like turf or something. They certainly could have used his services all game.
- Two great strikes by Rohan Ricketts. Really nothing Preston Burpo could do about them.
- I’ve said it before and I will say it again, the Altitude broadcast may be the worst in the league. the two guys that do the broadcast really know little of the game and the play-by-play guy never knows when to shut-up and call the action on the field. Listen to all of his goal calls, you will see. Also, he called Ricketts the wrong name all game, apparently to him there were two Jeff Cunninghams on the field.
DC United 4 – 1 New York Red Bulls:
- Nothing like turning to this game 20 minutes late and seeing two straight goals within a couple minutes of watching. And a third not to far after that.
- DC looked good, I mean really good at home in this one. Luciano Emilio easily had his best game of the season and maybe his career with DC.
- Want a quality goal? Look at Clyde Simms’ goal. Wow.
- Got to love the wing play out of DC right now. I love Fred and Santino Quaranta handling the flank play, you can tell it has really opened up things for this team and their offense. Lots of goals in the past couple games because of it.
- DC still has some work to do in defense though, against a better offense (like a LA) they will be very vulnerabe to set pieces. But overall New York did little to test them.
- New York is in a world of trouble right now. Some people didn’t see it coming, I saw it for weeks. Their defense is terrible. But I honestly still believe it isn’t just their defense, its their goalkeeper too Jon Conway. They need that summer transfer window to open fast.
- New York said they would just use it on defense and possibly some wing players but they need some scorers too. Juan Pablo Angel is still hurt and no one else can score like he does on this team.
- Juan Carlos Osorio…meet the hot seat.
Columbus Crew 3 – 0 Kansas City Wizards:
- Talk about a surprise. I honestly didn’t expect this result out of the Crew. For a couple weeks they’ve looked a bit lost out there and seem to have gotten themselves in a summer slump. But this game surely ended their scoring problems.
- Nothing like ruining a nice homecoming too. First home game for the Wizards in two months did no go as planned.
- One person they needed badly to get back on the scoring sheet was Alejandro Moreno. He looked real comfortable out there and really shredded this young KC defense.
- Again, those early goals can kill any momentum, the Chad Marshall goal in the third minute seemed to have done that to the Wizards. They never really got into this game after that.
- KC continues to struggle on offense and defense. I think we are really seeing what I talked about in my unit rankings out of this club back in the preseason. Lots of youth and a lot of problems.
- Can Claudio Lopez get some help up front for KC? It wasn’t like this club was missing a lot of players or anything in this one. Lopez just seems like he has no chemistry with his midfield or strikers right now.
- Poor KC, back on the road next week in Toronto.
LA Galaxy 3 – 0 San Jose Earthquakes:
- Edson Buddle, Edson Buddle, Edson Buddle. Wow. Three great goals, one from his feet and two from his head. Whoever said this club was all Landon Donovan scoring was dead wrong.
- David Beckham tweaked his hamstring early in the game, and was largely ineffective after that but give credit to the rest of this Galaxy team for coming together and showing us all they had other parts who can contribute to the attack.
- I don’t know which header I liked out of Buddle the most. Probably the first one, which was his second goal of the year. It may be my goal of the week.
- San Jose’s defense just didn’t have an answer for Buddle in this one. They gave him too much space and he made them pay for it.
- As much as we sometimes lose Buddle in all of this, he’s still showing us how effective of a scorer he can be. No one would have thought he would score eight goals this season, let alone this early in the year.
- San Jose did battle in this one and had some chances on net but nothing that ever troubled Steve Cronin in net for the Galaxy.
- Don’t look now but this Galaxy club is actually good here. I know it was against the Earthquakes but their defense even looked better. What? Yeah, I know.
- San Jose again has to go back to the drawing board. Please spare me the reasons for the loss like they were missing a player or two. Everyone this weekend was missing a player or two and LA just made the most of it.
Real Salt Lake 1 – 0 Chivas USA:
- Wow, a rare road win for Real Salt Lake. Maybe there is some life in this club after all.
- Let’s be honest too on the Robbie Findley goal, Chivas keeper Dan Kennedy was way off his line on that one. Anyone think Brad Guzan would have gotten that one? Its a maybe but I think this outcome would have been different with Guzan in net.
- Chivas showed us again how weak their offense can be this season. They go down and they rarely fight back. Not a good sign for this club.
- I honestly didn’t see much of it but judging by the Quick Kicks highlights on MLSnet.com, it wasn’t much of a game. Hell the second half highlights conclude at the 60 minute mark.
For the Dallas/Chicago game see the game recap from earlier….
So what else did I miss from this weekend? Let’s hear it. More from this weekend coming up in a bit!