- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On May 6, 2008
- 4 Comments
- Darren Huckerby, Summer Transfers
From time to time we get rumors or ideas that pop into our heads that we think could be a good idea. This may seem like one of those things. Over the next few weeks we will see players get linked to possible moves to MLS. Today one took a step closer to becoming a reality.
Norwich City fan favorite Darren Huckerby was released today as a part of a so-called fire sale by the English side.
The 32-year-old winger/striker has been on the rumor mill for multiple MLS sides since early January. Some have believed he would make a move to Toronto. Others think DC or LA. I wouldn’t be shocked if he were to get looks at by New York, Chivas and Houston. Also, don’t sleep on a team like Columbus or Chicago to try and make a deal for him.
Yup, even with recent injuries his services would be attractive enough for several MLS clubs this summer. Plus now he won’t have a transfer fee for his services and he probably won’t come all that expensive. My best bet is he will make somewhere in the neighborhood of $150,000 to $250,000 in MLS. I’m sure plenty of teams will go for that to have an experienced winger/striker on their roster.
The obvious reason for him to go to Toronto are there. The Reds typically go for former English players or guys that have seen time in the EPL or Championship league in England. DC and LA get mentions due to their money, and need for a wing player like Huckerby.
I throw the other five clubs in for various reasons even if they won’t take a look at Huckerby.
- New York – For the reason that they need more wing play and could easily use another striker here this summer once Jozy Altidore leaves for the Olympics and due to Juan Pablo Angel’s current injury status.
- Houston - The obvious scoring need is there so keep an eye out for the Dynamo to try and get him if they can. Plus his services on the wings would be a nice improvement.
- Chivas – Its kind of obvious right now watching Chivas that they need help on the offensive side of things. With the moves that Toronto made in the early going this season to improve their midfield you can’t help but to wonder about some clubs like Chivas is they were able to add a player or two to their offense to see what would happen.
- Columbus – Right now they have every reason to throw some cash at Huckerby. They are atop the table and will want to stay there or at least be in the thick of things come the end of the season. Huckerby could easily help them out to do that.
- Chicago – Same as Columbus. They could use the wing play and the scoring out of Huckerby and also he would provide some really nice depth to that roster.
See any other clubs that would want a guy like Huckerby and could be able to get him? As the next few weeks go by there will be more and more players from overseas that will get linked to possible transfers or signings with MLS clubs.
If you want my honest opinion, I’d love to see him in Columbus or Chicago. They are my sleeper teams in the Huckerby situation here but more than likely a team like DC will end up with him.