- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On December 10, 2007
- 12 Comments
A couple weeks before the new year and it’s time for the WVHooligan “Way Too Early 2008 Season Predictions.” Some things will be included into next year’s actual season predictions in March and some things are just random thoughts that I think could happen over the course of the 2008 year.
Of course some things are purely wants and desires that I would like to see happen and some are factual based predictions for next season. Its a fun thing, not meant to be too serious but I do reserve the right to brag and boast if I get things right in these predictions for next year. What can I say, I get ragged on when I get things wrong and never hear a pep when I get things right. So bragging will ensue if I am correct on any of these things.
Feel free to post your early predictions as well.
- DC United will not repeat as Supporter’s Shield winners – Yeah we got over the so-called jinx with DC this year as they repeated as Supporter’s Shield winners in the regular season but they still faltered in the playoffs. I just don’t see it going back-to-back-to-back here though. Someone else will step in and get the regular season crown…
- New England will win the Supporter’s Shield – a random feeling really. I went back and forth with this pick and I think New England for the main reason of the fact that they will go out and get a difference maker this off season. I think they know they lack one more piece to the puzzle and they will fill that hole and it will help out in the regular season.
- There will be two DP signings before or during the season – That is not including the potential Juan Sebastian Veron deal with DC. I see Dallas signing a DP (due to Denilson not getting his option picked up and I highly doubt he will stay on for a cheap amount) and I see New England making a splash for a player-maker.
- St. Louis will be named the 16th club in the MLS – I say this because I just see law-makers in Pennsylvania holding up the Philly stadium deal. St. Louis just needs to go ahead to start building and I think Jeff Cooper will get some more people behind him to be able to fund this club.
- Philly will be the 17th club – I think even with the political crap in the way they still will get in the league and be ready to go by 2011. An announcement will be made sometime in the season and the Sons of Ben along with the owners will sell around at least 8000 season tickets in the first couple months.
- Eddie Johnson will play in Europe in 2008 – I think someone will finally pick him up and sign him this off-season. I am hearing right now that Reading has put some interest in EJ but I think he will not end up in the EPL but probably somewhere like the Scottish league or Portuguese league.
- Six clubs will sign one or two South American players before next season – We all know that a few coaches from around the league made their way down to Argentina to scout some players. I see Dallas, RSL, DC, New England, Chivas, and Chicago getting some South American flavor this off-season. Though Chicago’s pick-up could be Mexican as Blanco wants some buddies of his to come play with him.
- Preki will coach the Red Bulls in 2008 – As much as I think Juan Carlos Osorio will coach New York I kinda see Preki end up with the gig. I hear that there was some locker-room issues with Chivas last year with Preki and that he could be on his way out on his own terms anyways.
- A MLS Club will win SuperLiga – Yeah I think the MLS will do better this time around. I am calling for a surprise with Chivas winning it.
- Dark Horse Picks - I said Chivas and Colorado last year, this year I am going to go with Columbus and Dallas. I say Columbus because I think they could make a splash if they really wanted to in the east. They can beat the top clubs but if they can just find a way to be successful against the lesser clubs then they will be fine. Dallas on the other hand is a pure hope for me as a Hoops fan. I think this will be a very telling off-season in Dallas on what they do with Ruiz and Denilson along with who they pick up in the draft and from South America. Plus a potential formation change could prove to be a big deal for 2008.
- Teams reaching the playoffs will be – In the east DC, New England and Chicago will get the automatic bids, in the west Houston, Dallas, and LA will get the automatic bids and the two wild-cards will be Chivas and Columbus. I am calling for it again (probably until I get it right) that Columbus comes in late and gets the final playoff spot at the end of the year and knocks the Red Bulls out of the playoffs because of it. Thus pissing most of the league off in the process.
- Houston will become the first back-to-back-to-back MLS Cup winner – Until something tells me other wise I think anyone would be stupid to pick against Houston in 2008. So far they haven’t lost a whole lot and they will continue to pick well in the SuperDraft. Dominic Kinnear is a mastermind and getting the best out of the average player. I do see Houston facing Chicago in the Cup final though.
So that is my 12 predictions or so. Again, some of these will be apart of my full 2008 season predictions. Some things may change though between now and then. I do reserve the right to change predictions once facts change and all. Never know what will happen in the next four months or so.
Hope you all enjoy.