- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On October 9, 2007
- 0 Comments
Only two more weeks left in the regular season and things are really getting interesting here. Two more playoff spots have been clinched while the other two are tightening up here at the moment. As for the rankings, some things change very little here.
1. (1) DC United (54 pts.) – Hard to even think of dropping United after a draw with KC. With two games left and New England and Houston out of the Supporter’s Shield race, I think DC has a lot of confidence to get the job done and take home their second straight regular season crown. Chivas is standing in the way with a game on hand so think could get interesting in the final week with this.
2. (2) CD Chivas USA (51 pts.) – Nice win over Real puts the Goats with in a real shot of the Supporter’s Shield crown.Two games this week with one on the road in Dallas. I have to say the Dallas game may be a must win for their Supporter’s Shield hopes here. Anything less than a win will pretty much hurt their shot even with two home games remaining.
3. (3) New England Revolution (49 pts.) – They win their first club trophy last week and follow it up with a stinker in Chicago. Typical let down game really for any club. Still have a two games left against beatable clubs (Columbus and Toronto). Need to win both games and hope DC loses theirs to have a shot at the regular season crown but that is very doubtful as DC just needs a draw to knock them out of contention this week.
4. (4) Houston Dynamo (48 pts.) – LA played them tough and did enough to beat them. The Ricardo Clark suspension will be tougher than some actually believe. Two road games left against Real and Chivas. Neither of them are easy. Has to win both to even dream of winning the western confernece this season.
5. (5) Chicago Fire (36 pts.) – Broke their recent mold of tying games and beat a pretty good New England side in the process with their young talent. If the Fire do make it in the playoffs they will be a scary team to face I think. That is if their schedule doesn’t get to them in the next two weeks.
6. (6) FC Dallas (43 pts.) – Kept Dallas here after their big win over Columbus that clinched their playoff ticket. Still don’t see how other teams below them can be ranked above them (like New York, KC). Anyways, the Hoops took care of business and now have two home games to close out the season against Chivas and KC. Needs momemtum going into the playoffs.
7. (7) Red Bull New York (39 pts.) – Losing yet clinching a playoff spot is a big reason why I am wanting change in this league for a better playoff system. It isn’t how they clinched but the fact that the current system still rewards crappy play. No one can tell me this club deserves to be ranked any higher than this right now. Can still save face with me with a win over KC this week.
8. (10) LA Galaxy (30 pts.) – Can’t deny the run that they are on at the moment. Still has a chance to reach the playoffs with winning out here. Two fairly win-able home games coming up with Toronto and New York before traveling to Chicago to close out the season. Just keep winning and everything else will take care of itself. The league may get their dream of David Beckham in the playoffs.
9. (8) Kansas City Wizards (37 pts.) – Very close to being passed up by Chicago for the 7th spot here. Last two games on the road against clubs with fairly decent offenses. Their defense has to step up their play in order to stay alive here. A win (or maybe a draw) will get them in this week. Losing only makes the headache worse.
10. (12) Colorado Rapids (32 pts.) – Yes I wrote them off last week and yet they did go out and pick up three points to the league’s worst team. Still when a club needs three points and gets it you have to give them some props for it. No shot still at the playoffs but it is kinda funny that even the more the Rapids win the less likely they are to keep their coach for next season I think.
11. (9) Columbus Crew (31 pts.) – Not completely out yet but with two road games against DC and New England they are pretty much as good as dead here. I still have hopes for them but it won’t happen sadly.
12. (11) Real Salt Lake (24 pts.) – Couldn’t spoil another club this past week but still have some chances at doing so with Houston and Colorado left on the menu. This club is playing for next season right now and really their future looks alright.
13. (13) Toronto FC (24 pts.) – A nice pick-me-up win for the Reds. Maurice Edu showed us again why he is the league’s Rookie of the Year.