- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On September 4, 2007
- 0 Comments
The league schedule is almost 70% done here and there is still a lot left to play for unless your club is in Salt Lake or are the LA Galaxy. Still, even those clubs have some pride to play for at this point and they do have games at hand to deal with. Anyways, another great weekend of action yields some change in the rankings.
1. (2) DC United (42 pts.) – I guess it is time I jump aboard here and claim the Black-and-red as the best club in the league right now. Even without Luciano Emilio playing at 100%, the United backed by Ben Olsen, Christian Gomez and Fred are dominating the scene and are the hottest club in the league. Winners of their last six and are really peaking at the right time. Two important games though this weekend will determine a lot in regards to playoff seeding and Supporter’s Shield this week.
2. (1) New England Revolution (42 pts.) – Dropped down one but still no real need to worry in my mind. New England is right in the thick of things and are tied with DC at the top of the eastern standings. Their clash with DC this weekend could prove a lot in who gets the top seed in the east, though I wouldn’t be shocked at all if they tie at this point and the winner is settled on goal-differential.
3. (3) Houston Dynamo (39 pt.) – Staying at three but are doing just enough at the moment. The defense is fine but the offense is really losing a lot of its power lately. Something they need in order to win the west from Chivas and Dallas and to possibly win the Supporter’s Shield this season.
4. (5) CD Chivas USA (36 pts.) – Jumps up this week thanks to the Dallas loss. I recall saying on another blog at the end of last season that Chivas would win the Supporter’s Shield this season and they very well could with five of their last six at home, a place that they have yet to lose at this season, must less get scored on at. Dark horse my friend, dark horse is what the Goats are.
5. (4) FC Dallas (36 pt.) – The typical end of summer slump for the Hoops is what is going on. Even with a week off the club looked a bit out of sync. A visit from Toronto should help the offense gain confidence and help stabilize a defense that is rather pathetic at the moment.
6. (6) Red Bull New York (36 pt.) – Doing enough at the moment to stay in the race but I doubt they have the juice in the back to get any closer to DC or New England. I also think that Claudio Reyna is starting to show why he is DP with his performance against Chicago. That is something that could definitely be a spark in the playoffs if he remains healthy.
7. (7) Chicago Fire (26 pts.) – Losing didn’t drop the Fire in my book. Still playing well but Blanco looked a bit flustered in New York. If that continues, look out, we could see the blow out that we have been expecting from him. The eight and final playoff spot is still in reach though, that is what is important if you are a Fire fan.
8. (9) Kansas City Wizards (33 pts.) – Again, just doing enough to get by. Time is running out on this club and out of the clubs that are “in” right now, I honestly could see this club not making the playoffs once it is all said and done with.
9. (8) Columbus Crew (28 pt.) – Another draw and still breathing in the eight and final spot with Colorado right now. The late goal was a killer if anything though because it was two big points that were lost. I still think they can get by somehow and get the eighth and final spot but that prediction is really starting to fade in my mind.
10. (10) Colorado Rapids (28 pts.) – You could make a case to move this club up to as high as seven or eight right now with their current run of play but I just struggle doing so. Yes they are in contention but they still have a lot of work left to do.
11. (13) Real Salt Lake (18 pt.) – Back-to-back wins give this club new life and a higher ranking than we have seen since the pre-season. The Argentine pickups are proving to be huge for Jason Kries’s club. I take back what I said last week about them being the worst in league history because well, they won’t be.
12. (11) Toronto FC (20 pt.) – Dreams are dreams but the Reds dream of the playoffs are more than gone at this point I think. Though a win in Dallas this weekend could easily change hopes for the expansion side.
13. (12) LA Galaxy (14 pt.) – Can’t even win at home right now. At times I want to feel sorry for the Galaxy but then again it all comes down to the schedule kicking their ass more than poor management or player deals. We haven’t even began the craziness of this month either.