- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On June 23, 2007
- 8 Comments
A lot of action tonight as there have been four games in action. Some thoughts on each.
New England 3 – 0 Toronto FC:
- Can’t say I was surprised with this result. New England looked like a much better side than how they had been playing in recent weeks. Then again Toronto let them do a lot more than they would have liked.
- Nice day to have Andy Dorman on your fantasy roster…two goals and both were pretty good ones.
- Don’t get me wrong I like Greg Lalas, but sometimes I get bored listening to him and his partner during Revs games, they seem to talk and ramble about pointless stuff like they are watching a baseball game
- Matt Reis made some good stops to get the clean sheet.
- Speaking of goalkeeping, just when I think Toronto keeper Srdjan Djekanovic is going to give Greg Sutton a real push for the keeper job in Toronto, he has a pretty bad game giving up three
- The road woes continue for the Reds, only two goals on the road this season…tied with the Galaxy for league worst
FC Dallas 1 – 0 Colorado:
- Fairly good contest between these two clubs, I almost did a running commentary during it because I got to see most of it.
- Speaking of bad broadcasting, I still find the Altitude broadcast as one of the most boring to listen to. The two guys are good but they lose me and I am sure they lose the rest of the audience in how they call games. Not to mention they are big homers, something that I hate when I watch/listen to a game even if it is the home broadcast, show some class and be a little more neutral
- Enough of broadcasting, talk about the game some…Dallas played a lot better with Ruiz and Ricchetti in the lineup.
- Lots of crap cards in this one and really the only couple cards I felt were good was the red to Ihemelu and the cards to Goodson and Ricchetti. I know Dario Sala has the reputation of wasting time but in his defense tonight he thought his coach was making a sub, so hence the time kill on his part.
- Ruiz very well should have had two goals tonight but Bouna made some great stops. The break away chance was one Ruiz would like to have back as he had the entire Rapids side beat except Bouna who stood his ground and made Ruiz make the move…big time stop there…
- I have to say I love the fire and passion of Herculez Gomez. The Rapids are surely going to miss him in the coming weeks when he is off at Copa America. He was showing a lot of drive and passion out on the pitch tonight…very fun to watch.
- Juan Carlos Toja getting the goal. It came off a nice sequence of play by the Hoops.
- Nice loud crowd tonight at the Dick. Always good to see a big crowd in Colorado…thankfully now days there 16k doesn’t get swallowed by Investco Field.
Real Salt Lake 2 – 1 DC United:
- Didn’t see this one but it is always nice to be made an ass of in these kind of cases. RSL gets the first win of the season in a big time way against a very good DC club.
- I knew the Robbie Findley pairing with Eskandairan would be interesting but the fact that Robbie netting two goals should tell you that this trade was good on the side of RSL and not on the side of the LA Galaxy. Salary dump, sure, but Alexi Lalas may be shaking his head now at this move…I know I am.
- DC must have been a little flat…as they were out shoot in the game. Rice-Eccles is a horrible field though so I am sure this will be a big excuse in the minds of the Black-and-Red fans and players.
- Emilio getting the lone goal in the late stages for DC. Nice to also see Fred return to the stat sheet…boy ol’ Fred has been a bit of a disappointment so far this year I think.
- Nice win for RSL. Good to see them finally get in the win column. Only a third or more into the season. Yaay.
Columbus Crew 3 – 2 LA Galaxy:
- I am sorta writing this as I am watching it. Weird game and a very physical game so far.
- Columbus went ahead early thanks to Chad Marshall via Schelotto. GMS now has six assist this season, he may very well lead the league in assist this season when it is all said and done.
- Two PKs in the first half…both stopped by each team’s keeper.
- Both PKs were shit calls really I thought. A push from the side on a corner by Columbus on LA and then a weird run in on LA giving Columbus the PK
- Big time stops by each keeper though. You never see two PKs stopped in one half though so props to each keeper.
- Red card to Ezra was a judgment call to say the least on the official’s part. I think it was possibly a yellow really but in the run of play it may have really warranted a red.
- Gradavoy gets redemption on the missed PK and nets a goal for the Crew. LA is playing some crappy soccer…great moves Alexi, your club is not at the bottom of the league with RSL again.
- If this result stands the Crew will move out of last place in the east and tie Chicago with 14 points. That is big stuff if your a Crew fan and bad stuff if your a Chicago Fire and Toronto FC fan. The east is so stinking tight right now, but are they really better than the west like everyone thinks they are? Yes and no but that will be for another day.
- Still a lot of time left in this one…I will edit this up if the score changes but this is all I am writing for now. If you have any thoughts on today’s matches feel free to post them or send your comments