- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On May 14, 2007
- 0 Comments
A few shake ups in the power rankings this week because of how teams are playing or not playing. A couple teams had the week off but it shouldn’t affect too much of their ranking really. And lastly I am still a bit confused on why some people insist on ranking certain teams as high as they do after the way they have played recently.
Ranking (last week Ranking) Team (points) –
1. (2) New England Revolution (14 pts.) – This team is playing the best soccer as of late and its been fun to watch really. I think Taylor Twellman looks like a man possessed out there scoring the way he does. No surprise he was the league’s Player of the Week. Another MLS Cup rematch this weekend in Houston will really give us a true idea of how this team is. If it is anything like last weekend in LA, we should be in for a very good match.
2. (1) Red Bull New York (11 pt.) – Starting to not play their best soccer now. No Reyna was the key really against Colorado. They had no midfield control and just looked flat out lost at times. A visit from Columbus could help but remember that the Crew do have a good defense of their own. They will need more of Juan Pablo Angel if they want any shot of beating the Crew. Probably could expect a close draw in this one. If that is the case this team will start falling in these rankings.
3. (6) Colorado Rapids (11 pts.) – Back in the 3 spot is the Rapids. One week they are here the next they fall to five or six. Let’s see if they can hold on to this for a change. Some may call their win lucky against New York but when you outplay a team you outplay a team. Simple as that. They get a visit from KC this weekend, I expect another solid result out of this team as they push on in the west.
4. (5) Houston Dynamo (7 pt.) – They were off yet moved up. How crazy is that? Simple really, I am not ready to rank FC Dallas over them just yet and teams like Chicago and KC don’t deserve this high of a ranking. They don’t. Back to the Dynamo, they have a tough test this weekend with the Revs coming into town. Let’s hope that the week off didn’t cool them off.
5. (7) FC Dallas (10 pt.) – Getting the win in KC was the biggest step for this team I think. But getting Dario Sala back in the net was even bigger. Now if Carlos Ruiz will get his head on straight then this team could very well control their own destiny in the west. Two games this week for the Hoops. Thursday night encounter with Brimestone Cup rival Chicago and on Sunday at home against RSL. Should be at least four points in there this week one would think. Possibly six with the way the Fire are going.
6. (4) Kansas City Wizards (12 pts.) – How people are ranking this team as a top three team is beyond me. Listen folks, they haven’t beat a solid team yet this year. Seriously, they haven’t. They are in a world of trouble without Jimmy Conrad on the field now too. A trip to Colorado isn’t going to help in my eyes. Though I have seen weirder things this year. They need Eddie Johnson to get back on track.
7. (3) Chicago Fire (10 pts.) – Six goals in the last two games by the Fire. I said it at the beginning of the season, this team does not have the offense to keep up with most teams in the league and really they don’t have the defense to fend off most teams in this league. Toronto exposed just that last weekend as did New England the week before that. A rival coming to town could help but Dallas did get the best of the Fire last year if anyone remembers.
8. (8) Columbus Crew (7 pt.) – Flat out have to find more ways to score. Getting Andy Herron back could help. Guillermo Barros Schelotto is a class act but this team needs some offense still. I hear Sigi is trying to get Carlos Ruiz from Dallas. I highly doubt that would happen. This team goes to New York this weekend. The Red Bulls are going to be a desperate team I feel this weekend after their last two results. That could be a good thing for the Crew.
9. (9) LA Galaxy (4 pt.) – Tough loss this weekend against the Revs. I just want to see how this team is after a couple weekends in a row of actual games and not getting a weekend off here and there. Its killed this teams unity. Thankfully another Chivas game this weekend. Expect three points.
10. (10) DC United (4 pts.) – Didn’t play but it makes you wonder what all went on this past week in DC. I think they will be fine. A visit to Toronto should be interesting. I wonder how a team like DC will handle such an atmosphere like BMO Field.
11. (13) Toronto FC (3 pt.) – First goal, first points, first red card. Love it all. Two more home games this week should be interesting. Any points this week will be a success in my eyes for this club.
12. (11) CD Chivas USA (7 pts.) – Falling from grace but I think they will slowly get back at it. They need Ante Razov to be Ante Razov. If not it will begin a long summer for the Goats. If they bounce back against Toolbox rival LA then things could be looking up for Preki’s club. Don’t lose too much faith, I think they will get a big name in this summer’s transfer season.
12. (12) Real Salt Lake (4 pt.) – RSL is tied with Chivas right now in my eyes. A draw on the road was huge but I feel that Toronto is playing better than the two clubs. But I love how Jason Kreis is handling this club. Getting Freddy the space and the time on the ball is key, he finally looked like the Freddy we all expect to see. I loved it but the own goals against Colorado was weird. We will see how things go after a trip to Dallas this weekend.