- Posted by Drew Epperley
- On May 8, 2007
- 0 Comments
As mentioned over the weekend, teams stole points while others regained the form we expected. Some teams got a much deserved week off while the Galaxy were off doing nothing but trying to figure out which former French star they want (though I don’t believe any of the hype surrounding any of the rumors).
Ranking (last week Ranking) Team (points) –
1. (1) Red Bull New York (11 pt.) – Yes even a draw at Salt Lake doesn’t move this team down. I will say it again though about Clint Mathis, I won’t proclaim his “return” until I see two solid games in a row like what we saw against RSL. If he does that against Colorado at home this Sunday then you all will have your so called claim from me that Cleetus is back.
2. (4) New England Revolution (11 pts.) – A draw and a nice win this past week moves the Revs up to the two spot. I have to say that this team is really starting to come together. It was a nice win against the Fire at home over the weekend and I expect much of the same style of play against the Galaxy this weekend out in LA. They are proving that they can get it done without Clint Dempsey (which they did anyways some last year) and the suspended Sharlie Joseph.
3. (2) Chicago Fire (10 pts.) – Not the result against the Revs that the Fire were looking in their first defeat of the season. But all should change with a trip to Toronto this weekend. However, if the week off helps the Red Leafs then the Fire will be in for a very tough match, if not, expect a decent sized blowout.
4. (7) Kansas City Wizards (12 pts.) – So you lead the league and you haven’t really beat anyone of note yet. I have trouble seeing this team at the top of other power rankings out there. Yes, they stole a couple points at home against the Crew in that boring contest. They host a rested FC Dallas squad this weekend and I think it will be a different outcome. But we will see won’t we?
5. (9) Houston Dynamo (7 pt.) – Welcome back DeRo and welcome back Dynamo. That was the kind of play I was expecting from you this season. It looks as though they have returned to their solid form. If that is the case then they will begin to run away with the west. They are off this weekend so it will be interesting to see how they return after a week’s time off.
6. (3) Colorado Rapids (7 pts.) – Can’t drop games at home like that one to the Dynamo. Especially giving up late goals at home. Thankfully they get their Mountain Cup Rival again this week in a prime-time game on Thursday night. I look for a bounce back. But a trip to New York on Sunday will be tough. They will be lucky to get four points this weekend I think. If they get anything less than four it will be a failure.
7. (8) FC Dallas (7 pt.) – Didn’t play and it didn’t matter. Worked out that other teams played poorly and the Hoops didn’t play. Trip to KC will prove a decent amount this weekend. I hope to see newly signed Ricchetti fits into the midfield. If he does anything from what I have read that he can do, he will change that midfield and improve it drastically.
8. (5) Columbus Crew (6 pt.) – They kinda got robbed a couple points on the road this past weekend. I thought they were the better of the two teams in KC but sometimes a bit of luck and bad defending will do that. I think a home game against the reeling Goats will help. They need the points because right now the east is too competitive to drop games.
9. (10) LA Galaxy (4 pt.) – Weird scheduling with this team is going to hurt them in the long run.
10. (11) DC United (4 pts.) – Think the United is back? They finally did some decent things and got some points. But that defense is still shaky. Apparently they are looking for help to sure it up in the coming week. Its an off week so why not huh?
11. (6) CD Chivas USA (6 pts.) – Biggest droppers this week. They looked puzzled out there but getting Sasha Kljestan back this weekend should help. They need points to stay alive in the west. If they don’t it will be a battle with them and Salt Lake for the cellar-dwellers of the west. I wonder what they will do with that cap space now that Guevara is gone. Possible go after a DP type of player? Who knows, they need some kind of spark.
12. (13) Real Salt Lake (3 pt.) – Yeah, you got a point against the league’s best but it came at some controversy, which apparently against New York it always does. I honestly don’t know what to make of this team but getting a new coach in should help. I cannot see this team making the playoffs though which is a bad thing for them. Can this team get better defense though is the real (no pun intended) question.
13. (12) Toronto FC (0 pt.) – A week off to gel more as a team should help. If Mo can get this club going while they have so many home games they should be able to reel off some points. If not, it makes you wonder just how long Mo will be sticking around as coach. His patience has to be wearing thin here.